Since its incorporation in 1989 through 2015, the NY Grace LeGendre Endowment Fund Inc (GLEF), has awarded over $150,000 in fellowships to 144 NYS women. Of these, ninety three were working toward a Master’s and fifty one toward a doctorate. They were enrolled in forty-eight diverse fields of graduate study.
Fellowships are awarded annually for graduate study to qualified women. The number and amount of the fellowships vary from year to year. In 2015, two Fellowships of $3000 each were awarded to supplement education costs for the 2015-2016 academic year. The awards were presented at a luncheon at the GLEF Annual Board Meeting in Albany, NY in May 2015. The two awardees were:
- Raquel Soto Lara: Master’s in Social Work, Fordham Universirty
- Maura Tyrrell: Doctorate in Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior Graduate Program, University of Buffalo
Three Fellowships will be awarded in the spring of 2016. Each Fellowship will be in the amount of two thousand dollars ($2000).
Individuals who wish to be considered for a GLEF Fellowship must:
- Be a woman who is a United States citizen and a resident of New York State.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree
- Be currently enrolled in graduate studies in an advanced graduate degree program at an accredited New York State college or university and have already completed at least one semester in that program.
- Show evidence of scholastic ability and a need for financial assistance.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have the application completed, signed where requested, and postmarked by February 28,2016 and to ensure that all required supplementary materials are postmarked to the Fellowship Chair by the same date as well. Among the supplemental materials currently required are the following:
- Most recent official undergraduate and graduate transcripts. These must be sent from the college or university directly to the Fellowship Chair.
- Two (2) current letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your academic performance and/or professional work. These are to be sent directly to the Fellowship Chair by the persons you have selected.
- A one-page statement indicating why you believe you should be awarded a fellowship. Indicate your accomplishments, goals, long-range plans, financial need, and plans for use of your graduate education.
Acknowledgement of the receipt of your application and/or subsequent material will be made by e-mail.
Address for application submission
Ramona Gallagher, Chair
NY Grace LeGendre Fellowship Committee
1217 Delaware Ave., Apt.807
Buffalo, NY 14209-1432
Application timeline – 2016 Fellowships
- September 2015 – applications will be made available.
- February 28, 2016 – deadline for applications and all supplemental material to be postmarked and sent to the Fellowship Chair.
- March 2016 – applications will be evaluated.
- April 2016 – the decision regarding successful applicants will be made in early April. Recipients of Fellowships will be notified by e-mail followed by an official letter of award.