The New York State Youth Leadership Council (NYSYLC) is an undocumented youth led organization that believes education is a right. The organization created the NYSYLC Awards Program because they understand the challenges students face when applying for post-secondary education.
The NYSYLC Awards Program aims to support immigrant youth, regardless of their immigration status, advance themselves and their communities, pursue their higher education dreams and continue to contribute to our society in the manner of their choosing.
The NYSYLC is also hosting the Queens College Dream Team Scholarship with the Queens College Dream Team, a club organization that provides safespace for undocumented students and allies, to support a current or incoming Queens College student.
NYSYLC Awards Program Eligibility:
- Residing in NYC and attending or planning to attend a NY school
- Be a graduating high school senior, have a High School or GED/HSE/TASC™ diploma and planning to attend college in the Spring
- OR current undergraduate student
- Be actively engaged, or wishes to be engaged, in social justice causes
- Be recommended by an educator, peer, community member, or religious leader
- Be able to volunteer 10 hours with the NYSYLC
- Be able to attend an awards ceremony in NYC (details TBD).
Queens College Dream Team Scholarship Eligibility:
- Be a graduating high school senior, have a High School or GED/HSE/TASC™ diploma and planning to attend Queens College in the Spring
- OR current Freshman, Sophomore, Junior in Queens College
- Be able to volunteer 25 hours with the Queens Colege Dream Team
- Be interested in immigration issues
Students interested in either scholarship must submit an application consisting of the following:
- Statement of financial need
- One letter of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Scholarship entry essay
The application can be found HERE. Applications must be emailed/postmarked/delivered by November 4th, 2016.