Living Environment and Writing/ELA Tutor
Masa works with Mexican and Latino immigrant children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully participate in and contribute to the larger community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create curriculum, present drafts well in advance to the Youth Program Associate for review, and make revisions as needed
- Implement lesson plans in a group setting
- Provide 1-to-1 tutoring to students in the program
- Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Youth Program Associate on a timely basis
- MUST be available on Wednesdays from 4:30-7 PM
- Experience tutoring in Living Environment and Writing
- Experience facilitating group discussions
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment; extremely independent and goal-oriented
- Extremely positive, patient, and understanding; able to build rapport and trust with youth
- Excellent administrative, time management, and organizational skills; computer-savvy
- Comfortable with providing tutoring in Math/Algebra a plus
Approximately 5.5 hours/week, including Wednesdays from 4:30-7 PM
How to apply:
Send your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about this opportunity, click HERE.
The New York State Youth Leadership Council (NYSYLC) is an undocumented youth led organization that believes education is a right. The organization created the NYSYLC Awards Program because they understand the challenges students face when applying for post-secondary education.
The NYSYLC Awards Program aims to support immigrant youth, regardless of their immigration status, advance themselves and their communities, pursue their higher education dreams and continue to contribute to our society in the manner of their choosing.
The NYSYLC is also hosting the Queens College Dream Team Scholarship with the Queens College Dream Team, a club organization that provides safespace for undocumented students and allies, to support a current or incoming Queens College student.
NYSYLC Awards Program Eligibility:
- Residing in NYC and attending or planning to attend a NY school
- Be a graduating high school senior, have a High School or GED/HSE/TASC™ diploma and planning to attend college in the Spring
- OR current undergraduate student
- Be actively engaged, or wishes to be engaged, in social justice causes
- Be recommended by an educator, peer, community member, or religious leader
- Be able to volunteer 10 hours with the NYSYLC
- Be able to attend an awards ceremony in NYC (details TBD).
Queens College Dream Team Scholarship Eligibility:
- Be a graduating high school senior, have a High School or GED/HSE/TASC™ diploma and planning to attend Queens College in the Spring
- OR current Freshman, Sophomore, Junior in Queens College
- Be able to volunteer 25 hours with the Queens Colege Dream Team
- Be interested in immigration issues
Students interested in either scholarship must submit an application consisting of the following:
- Statement of financial need
- One letter of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Scholarship entry essay
The application can be found HERE. Applications must be emailed/postmarked/delivered by November 4th, 2016.