The Kairos Learning Community provides academic help and support for the Sunset Park youth community. They offer one-on-one tutoring, after school homework help, summer academic programs and test prep.
They are currently seeking part-time academic tutors to work with students from Pre-K through High School for the following subjects:
Note: All academic tutors must speak Spanish!
Please send your resume via email or drop in to one of their offices.
Address 1: 420 42nd Street, Brooklyn NY 11232.
Phone #1: 347-689-3353
Address 2: 6207 5th Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11220
Phone #2: 347-844-9233
Click HERE to view their flyer.
Living Environment and Writing/ELA Tutor
Masa works with Mexican and Latino immigrant children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully participate in and contribute to the larger community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create curriculum, present drafts well in advance to the Youth Program Associate for review, and make revisions as needed
- Implement lesson plans in a group setting
- Provide 1-to-1 tutoring to students in the program
- Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Youth Program Associate on a timely basis
- MUST be available on Wednesdays from 4:30-7 PM
- Experience tutoring in Living Environment and Writing
- Experience facilitating group discussions
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment; extremely independent and goal-oriented
- Extremely positive, patient, and understanding; able to build rapport and trust with youth
- Excellent administrative, time management, and organizational skills; computer-savvy
- Comfortable with providing tutoring in Math/Algebra a plus
Approximately 5.5 hours/week, including Wednesdays from 4:30-7 PM
How to apply:
Send your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this role to email@example.com.
To learn more about this opportunity, click HERE.
SASP Peers Success Coaches are dedicated to supporting students in SASP Programs (e.g., Adelante, Early Start, Freshmen, and Transfer Seminars). By working closely with faculty and staff, they aim to ensure that students have a successful and fun Academic Journey at John Jay!
Minimum qualifications and requirements:
- Be a full-time John Jay student
- Maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Earned between 15 and 90 credits
- Work at least 10 hours per week between 8:00am-5:30pm during the semester
- Attend all trainings and staff meetings
- Enroll in the Peer Success Coach Training Courses: CSL 210 (FA17) and CSL 211 (SP18)
- Genuine desire to help students
- Enthusiasm for promoting events and representing John Jay
- Familiarity with John Jay services and resources
- Desire to work with and contribute to the success of a large team
To learn more or to access the application, CLICK HERE.
If you have any questions, please contact the Associate Director for Student Success Initiatives, Nancy Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org.